How can you measure the diameter of copper tubing?
Is copper tubing also measured ID or O?
Copper. Copper. copper pipes that measure 5/8" OD are called 1/2-inch pipe. Because the wall thickness is different, ID can vary.
What is the diameter of 1/2-inch copper tubing? (PETERSEN DON'T SELL COPPER TUBING NOR PIPE).
|Nominal Pipe Size in Inches||O.D.||Wall Thickness|
It is also important to understand how to measure the diameter of a tube.
Measure the Outside diameter (OD) of your pipe/pipe fitting:
- String the pipe with a string.
- Mark the spot where the string touches each other.
- To determine the distance between the string's tip and the mark (circumference), you can use a ruler or tape.
- Divide the circumference by 3.14159.
What is the outside diameter for 1/4 copper tubing
Soft Copper Tubing - Price Per 50ft Roll
|Size (O.D.||Size (I.D.||Wall Thickness|
|Standard Nipples and Pipe Sizing|
|Pipe Size||Outside Diameter (O.D.)||Circumference|
- Find the center of a circular area and mark it in some way.
- Secure a tape measure anywhere on the circle and pull the tape measure to a point on the opposite side of the circle.
- Measure just the radius of the circle if it is very large.
- Subtract the inside diameter from the outside diameter of the pipe. The result is the combined thickness of the pipe walls on both sides of the pipe.
- Divide the total pipe wall thickness by two. The result is the size, or thickness, of one pipe wall.
- Check for errors by reversing the calculations.
|Item #||Size||Outside Diameter|
|SCH 40 Pipe-3/4||3/4 in||1.050 in|
|SCH 40 Pipe-1||1 in||1.315 in|
|SCH 40 Pipe-1 1/4||1 1/4 in||1.660 in|
|SCH 40 Pipe-1 1/2||1 1/2 in||1.900 in|
95% of readers found this page helpful.
Rate this post by clicking on a star above
Thank you for your vote!